Prepping for Garage Door Opener Installation
Garage doors are an integral part of our day-to-day lives, but we don’t often consider the amount of power it takes to operate them. That’s what garage door openers do; they provide the power to open and close the garage door quickly, quietly, and smoothly. Here are six things you should know about garage door opener installation.
Recognize When Your Old Garage Door Opener Needs to be Repaired or Replaced
Garage door openers last approximately 10,000 cycles, or 7-10 years. As they age, some garage door openers can be repaired. Others will need to be replaced, or you could spend more money in the long run. Your local garage door specialists can recommend repair or replacement after inspecting your garage door opener. You’ll know you need a garage door opener repair or a new garage door opener installation when you notice the following:
- Your garage door won’t close or closes halfway.
- Your garage door starts closing, then reverses.
- Your garage door remote is not working.
- Your garage door won’t open.
- Your garage door keypad is not working.
- Your garage door is stuck.
- Your garage door opens by itself.
Garage Door Openers Come in Different Drive Styles
There are several drive styles to choose from during garage door opener installation. Each has varying benefits, such as affordability, quiet operation, and installation location.
- Chain Drive – Affordable and reliable, these are the most common type of drive style. They are noisier than the other drive styles because they operate with a trolly system using a metal chain.
- Belt Drive – If you want your garage door to open quietly and are willing to pay more, consider a belt drive. They operate on a rubber belt, which eliminates the metal-on-metal noises.
- Screw Drive – Good for large, heavy doors, screw drives have fewer moving parts. They’re quieter than a chain drive but noisier than a belt drive.
- Jackshaft Drive – Located on the wall, these are an excellent option for garages with high ceilings, especially if you’re considering installing high lift tracks.
Garage Door Size and Weight Impacts Horsepower
The larger and heavier a garage door is, the higher horsepower required to operate it effectively. For most residential homes, a ½ horsepower garage door opener will suffice. Garage doors larger in size and weight may see better performance with an opener with ¾ to 1 horsepower. If you’re not sure what horsepower is best for your garage door opener installation, ask the professionals! Your local garage door specialists can easily recommend the horsepower needed for your current garage door.
Garage Door Opener Brand Matters
Garage door openers have a crucial job, and choosing a brand that manufactures quality, reliable products is vital. We’ve performed countless garage door opener repairs on all brand types at DC Garage Door. Over the years, we’ve discovered that LiftMaster, Genie, and Nice garage door openers are the best in the industry. You can’t go wrong with these three brands for your next garage door opener installation, and each brand offers garage door openers with a wide range of safety and technology features.
Modern Safety and Security Features are Available
When preparing for a garage door opener installation, research available safety and security features to know which are most important to you and your family. Garage doors are the largest piece of moving equipment in your home, so safety is crucial! Garage door opener safety and security features include:
- Garage Door Sensors
- Automatic Reversing System
- Rolling Code Security Technology
- Manual Release
- Battery Backups
Technology Features Offer Convenience
Everyone loves products that make life a little easier. With modern technology features, a new garage door opener installation can offer a level of convenience that’ll leave you asking, “How did I ever live without this?” Some garage door openers have smartphone capabilities that allow you to open and close your garage door using an app. Diagnostic features alert you to potential issues with your garage door. Keypads can be programmed with codes for secure entry without needing a remote. Choose a garage door opener with technology features matching your needs and lifestyle.
Contact Us for Professional Garage Door Opener Installation
When you are ready for a new garage door opener installation, don’t hesitate to call your local garage door service company. Ask questions, get recommendations, and receive the highest quality products and services when you contact DC Garage Door and Services. We’re here to help!